Exotic Woods was opened for business in 1978 by John (sr.) and Tetje Hordyk. John was a self-employed cabinet-maker at the time, and opened a small shop in Burlington providing fine quality hardwoods, softwoods and veneers from around the world. He also supplied a small selection of high quality hand tools for carving and woodworking. He continued cabinetmaking while providing a planing and cutting service.
On a small budget and moving in his own woodworking equipment, he filled the shop with a selection of lumber, a new planer and a used 16" jointer. John divided his time between selling lumber and making cabinets and other fine furniture. Soon, a steady stream of clients were looking to purchase the quality lumber he had to offer.
In time, his two sons John (jr.) and Mel joined the business and John (sr.) expanded Exotic Woods’ warehouse to double its size, and expanded its product line.
Exotic Woods has continued to grow over many years, hiring more people to handle sales, customer service and warehouse duties. It has expanded numerous times at their original location in Burlington. The third generation has also joined the operation and In 2009, Exotic Woods moved to a 20,000 square foot facility on Harvester Road, with expanded space for full machining facilities, warehousing and a larger showroom. At this new location Exotic Woods Flooring has at 1500 sq ft flooring showroom with a full time salesman, handling domestic made wood flooring as well as a number of European lines. With this space, Exotic Woods is sure to fill its customer’s needs for years to come.